Who We Are
Barkley Project Group (BPG) is a small consulting firm specializing in project management services to develop community-owned clean energy projects and implement energy efficiency initiatives.
We currently work with more than 30 First Nations communities within British Columbia and the Yukon. Our projects focus on best-fit opportunities for each client and range from developing hydro, solar, wind, biomass, wave and geothermal energies. Some projects displace community diesel systems, while others generate commercial revenues on a larger scale. Our job is to support Nations by providing project management and administration capacities on a project-specific basis. We are passionate about the work we do, and we are grateful for the opportunities to work with the communities pursuing a more sustainable future.
We focus on a community-centric approach where our clients own and control their clean energy developments and energy efficiency projects. We also have a solid understanding and track record of securing government funding to support project development. Our most important guiding principle is to ensure that project benefits align with community priorities. This approach has been well received by government funders, which, in turn, reduces financial risks for our clients.
Barkley Project Group employees lead all activities according to our six core values: Trust, Integrity, Respect, Innovation, Humor, Happiness.
Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP)
Barkley Project Group is actively developing an internal RAP program that will help guide our future policies and actions. New employees will be encouraged to review our RAP program to date and participate in the continual development.
We are hiring a full-time position for the role of Hydropower Operations Technician with our Project Operations Team. In order to effectively support this position, the successful applicant must live on Vancouver Island within the mid-Island area, (Nanaimo, Parksville, Port Alberni, Ucluelet or Tofino).
The successful candidate will support the operational manager in providing high quality, professional operational support services to active and developing electric generating facilities and potentially other community infrastructures. This position requires a working environment that will include in-office, from home and on-site operations. The successful candidate would also be required to travel and be away for short periods to support remote project activities.
Key tasks for this position include:
· Supporting existing hydro plant operators in all matter related to safe and efficient plant operations
· Operation and development of SCADA based monitoring and control software for human-machine interface
· Assist in the on-going development and implementation of safety, monitoring and maintenance programs
· On-site tool-based maintenance and troubleshooting using a broad array of skills
· Assist the Barkley Project Group team in the evaluation and deployment of energy efficiency solutions
· Assist in the training of new plant operators
· Providing 24/7 remote assistance via online platforms
Reporting to the Operational Manager, your duties include but are not limited to:
· Monitoring and ensuring generation facilities are operating and generating at full potential
· Problem-solving, research and development to ensure operations are technically current
· Support plant operators 24/7 with regards to plant alarms, plant trips/shutdowns and or emergency repairs
· Supporting plant operators with regards to safe work practices, establishing check-ins and check-outs from site
· Coordinate annual site inspections including, danger tree assessments and falling, road and drainage structures, high voltage, mechanical Non-Destructive Testing (NDT), intake facilities, vegetation management and powerlines
· Reviewing operator(s) site inspections, providing feedback while continually developing and improving the operator’s ability to perform and manage their role
· Coordinate tasks to ensure quality, consistency, and the completion of deliverables on time and within budget
· Maintain clear records of the tasks, activities and details of your work
· Adhere to all Company policies and procedures, including safety
· Contribute ideas, energy and personal commitment to help foster a positive and rewarding work environment and to help maintain and grow a successful, innovative, high-quality project management consulting practice at Barkley Project Group
· Graduate in engineering or a suitable RSE trade
· Passionate about working with First Nations and remote communities
· Passionate about working in the clean energy and energy efficiency industry
· Sense of humour and patience
· Trustworthy and able to trust your team
· Upholding respect and acting with integrity
· Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to multi-task
· Mechanically inclined
· Proficient with MS Office, particularly Excel, Word, and Outlook
· Previous operations and or construction experience
· Must be willing to learn in areas where previous experience is lacking
· Strong time management, interpersonal and organizational skills
· Strong working knowledge of small hydro equipment and operations
· Proficient in mechanical operations, hydraulic power units (HPU) and lubrication systems
· Electrically inclined
· Proficient in blueprint drawings review, civil and electrical
· Proficient in IEC 61131-3 Structured Text PLC programming
· Experience with Schweitzer Engineering protection relay equipment
· Proficient in technical writing skills
· Maintains a valid Canadian driver’s license and legally entitled to work in Canada.
Contacts Please send your cover letter and resume via email with the title “Hydropower Operations Technician First Name, Last Name”
Reference ID: Hydropower Technician
Application deadline: 2021-01-15
Job Type: Full-time
United Renewable Energy, LLC (URE) develops, designs, builds and maintains solar photovoltaic and energy storage systems for utilities, industrial, and...Apply For This Job
Job Details Description GENERAL DESCRIPTION The Sr. Capital Equipment Procurement Associate is responsible for all aspects of Wind Energy, Solar...Apply For This Job
WSP is one of the world’s leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments....Apply For This Job
Vestas Wind Technology, Inc. Wind Service Technician I or II Mount Uniacke, Nova Scotia – main building is 1/2hr North-West...Apply For This Job
Creating the functional location structure for our Offshore grid connection systems in SAP (or similar System) Registration and Administration of...Apply For This Job
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org